The open source community has developed privacy-related tools to help you keep your data and online activities private.
With these tools, you don’t have to spend big bucks just to purchase expensive security tools. Whether you are a developer, student, or new open source user, you’re sure to find tools here that can help keep your data secret.
- Jasypt – Jasypt is a tool you can use to add encryption to your code if you are not fully knowledgeable with cryptography. This tool uses standards-based encryption methods or techniques that allow you to encrypt text, numbers, passwords and more.
- JCrypTool – this tool allows you to learn about encryption and cryptography. It makes it easy for users to experiment on different encryption mechanisms.
- TrueCrypt – this tool can be used to encrypt just a single file, a particular partition or even the entire hard drive. It can also encrypt portable hard drives or USB flash disks. This can be used in Windows, Mac and Linux.
- AxCrypt – a file-encrypting tool that makes it easy for Windows users. Users can just browse and right-click the file they want to encrypt on Windows Explorer and viola, encryption is done. This tool is developed for Windows operating systems.
File Transfer and Sharing Tools
- WinSCP – this tool supports SFTP, FTP and SCP. Users can securely transfer files from Windows to Linux computers. This tool is compatible with Windows.
- RetroShare – with this tool, you can securely chat and transfer files with your peers. This is because you can setup your own network by sending your peers a key. Communication is encrypted using OpenSSL. This tool is compatible with Windows and Linux operating systems.
Network Security Tools
- Untangle – even if Linux operating systems cannot be easily attacked by malware or hacks, this tool can increase the security level of your Linux box. It includes firewall, intrusion prevention, anti-spyware, anti-spam, web filtering, anti-virus, VPN and more. This tool can turn any computer into a security appliance because of its all-in-one approach to security and network protection.
- Privoxy – this tool lets you setup a proxy server for protecting your privacy. It includes web filtering, removing ads, and more. Privoxy is easy to customize and users can apply with their network or on a standalone system. This tool can be used in Windows, Linux, Unix, OS X, BSD, and Solaris.
- Mixmaster – this tool allows you to send email messages anonymously or using an alias to anyone. This can be used with Windows, Linux, Unix, OS X and BSD.
- Remote BHO Scanner – spyware usually disguises itself as a Browser Helper Object (BHO), integrating itself to Internet Explorer or other browsers. This tool helps you determine if your Browser Helper Objects are spyware. With this, you can remove them manually and protect your data and privacy. This tool can be used in Windows operating systems.